Alaskan born, 4 years in Texas, 3 years in Minnesota, Greg Danielson has been a resident
of Portland for 49 years. An art career was launched while attending Portland Art Museum School at age 10.
After a year at Portland State University, and a year at the University of Portland, he
joined the Air Force and was Supervisor of the Graphics Section at Lubbock Air Force
Base. He spent a year at Texas Tech University, and after studying under Puerto Rican
painter Carlos Jordan, Greg returned to PSU to finish his degree in Graphic Design.
During many years as art director and owner of Pen & Pencil Grafix, he discovered chalk
pastels as the tool best suited for his personal expression. Using only pastels since his first
effort in 1985, Greg has used no other media since. His interest in nature is abundant and is
reflected in the many works derived from his travels and especially Portland’s own back
A string of gallery shows and winning competitions, from Lake Oswego to the Portland
Rose Festival Poster 1999, has demonstrated the diverse skills and dedication of this artist.
- Award of Creative Excellence from Becket Paper Company for
the ‘Eyedentify’ booklet
- Award of Graphic Excellence from Mead Paper Company for N.W.
Marine Iron Works book
- First Place logo design award from Beckett Paper Co. for Oregon Re-tinners corporate image
- Graphic Design Award from Fox River Paper for Marine Group corporate logo
- Graphic Design Award of Excellence from James River Paper Company for Cogent Research logo
- Graphic Design Award from Fox River Paper for Washington County logo
- Winner of SWIFT auction jurried competition, Vancouver, Washington, 1995
- Best Pastel in Lake Oswego Festival of Arts, Oregon, 1996
- Winner of Rose Festival Poster competition, Portland, Oregon, 1999
Shows and Commissions
- One man show: Sandpiper Gallery, Canon Beach, Oregon, 1983
- Commission: Minneapolis Downtown Council ‘Farmer’s Market Project’
poster illustration, 1988
- Commission: triptych pastel painting for Maxwell’s Restaurant and Bar
Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1989
- One man show: Saint Anthony Main Gallery, Minneapolis, 1989
- Commission: “Endangered Spieces” T-shirt designs for Goldsmith’s, Portland, Oregon, 1991
- One man show: Abbott Gallery, Portland, Oregon, 1994
- Group show: Beaverton Arts Commission Gallery, Beaverton, Oregon, 1995
- Artwork for: “National Multiple Sclerosis” Calendar 2002, 2003 and 2005
- Audubon Society “Wild Arts Festival”, Portland, Oregon, 2005
Copyright ©2011 Greg Danielson. All rights reserved.